When planning a move, selecting the right size moving truck rental can mean the difference between a single, efficient trip and multiple, time-consuming rounds. It can also save you from unnecessary costs and potential damage to your belongings. Here, we’ll guide you through the process, ensuring your move is smooth and hassle-free.
What is a Moving Truck?
At its essence, a moving truck is a vehicle specially designed to transport household or office items from one location to another. Unlike standard vehicles, they come with a spacious storage area in the back, which allows you to pack a significant amount of furniture, appliances, and boxes. Over the years, moving trucks have become a preferred choice for those looking for a more economical and flexible moving option.
What is the Size of a Moving Truck?
Moving truck rentals typically come in various standard sizes:
- Small (10-12 feet): Suitable for a studio or a one-bedroom apartment.
- Medium (15-18 feet): Ideal for a two-bedroom apartment or a small house.
- Large (20-26 feet): Best for three-bedroom houses or larger.
What is the Largest Moving Truck You Can Rent?
The largest standard moving truck available for rent typically measures around 26 feet. It can hold contents equivalent to a four or five-bedroom house. It’s ideal for families moving a large household or businesses relocating their offices.
How to Pick the Right Truck Size
Picking the right truck size requires a good understanding of your needs:
- Inventory: Before you even start looking at truck sizes, take a comprehensive inventory of everything you’re planning to move. This will give you a ballpark estimate of the amount of space you need.
- List Down Large Items: These include furniture, appliances, and other bulky items. They will require the most space in the truck.
- Estimate the Number of Boxes: After packing, get an estimate of the total number of boxes and their sizes.
- Estimate Space: As a reference, a MODS Portable on Demand Storage of 8’X8’X16′ can hold contents of approximately a 1500 square foot home. This can help in comparing the space required.
- Consider Access: Ensure that the size of the truck you select can easily access your current and new location.
- Safety Buffer: Always rent a slightly larger truck than you think you need. This will ensure that you don’t run out of space on moving day.
What to Consider When Calculating Your Move
- Furniture Size and Volume: Large furniture items take up more space than boxes. Ensure they can fit comfortably in the truck.
- Packing Efficiency: Efficiently packed items take up less space. Consider investing in quality packing materials to protect and optimize space.
- Duration of Move: For longer moves, you might require more space to ensure items are not packed too tightly together, minimizing the risk of damage.
- Multiple Trips: If both your locations are nearby, you might be able to make multiple trips with a smaller truck, but it’s often more convenient and time-saving to move in one go.
Looking for a hassle-free moving experience? Consider MODS Mobile On Demand Storage. We deliver Portable on Demand Storage Containers right to your location. Once you fill it up, we move it to your new address or store it at our facility. Serving Amarillo, Fort Worth, and Oklahoma City, we’ve got your moving needs covered. Contact us today or call at 817-847-6637, 405-720-7344, or 806-350-6637 for unparalleled service.